I feel like a lot of times Valentine’s Day is focused solely on showing a significant other how much they mean to you by buying them flowers or chocolates. Acknowledging the love you have for someone else is important and special, but I want to take a minute to acknowledge another really important relationship in your life … the relationship you have with yourself!
“To love yourself is to understand you don’t have to be perfect to be good.”
Here at Modified By Melissa, there is a trend in the conversations we have with our clients and that is that so many of them are often hard on themselves wondering how and why their homes have gotten to the point of needing to hire us. They always feel a sense of guilt and shame like they should have done more or could have done better. But, the reality is you have done nothing wrong and you are worthy of having a home that brings you peace and calmness.
You deserve to have all of the best things in life and we will be here to tell you that as many times as you need to hear it. You deserve to have peace in your home. You deserve to have positive energy flowing around you.
It’s ok to call in some back up to help you! Call a friend to come sit with you while you go through your closet or ask your mom or sister to sit on FaceTime with you while you sort the papers in your home. Of course, if you really wanna kick start things, call your local home organizing team to step in! (smiley face emoji??) *
I encourage you to show yourself some extra love this Valentine’s Day by speaking kind and treating yourself to simple pleasures. Here are some of my favorite self-love words and actions. (And hey, self-love comes in a lot of different forms and mediums. So if you’re already organized and treating yourself, congrats!)
“You can reinvent yourself, darling, you are that kind of powerful. But you know where the magic really is? In reinventing your relationship with yourself. You’re that kind of powerful too.” – s.c lourie
- Get a blowout or massage or some other *special* treatment you may not let yourself indulge with on a regular basis. Even though you should, because you totally deserve it!
- Light a candle or diffuse an oil. Seriously, there is something that chemically changes when you put a fresh, desirable scent into your space.
- Tidy up. There are so many icky feelings that we attract when our homes or spaces are cluttered. You owe it to yourself to clean it up and clear out the negative energy. Light that candle afterward too!
- Get some fresh air. There are so many studies that show us how much getting fresh air positively affects us. It can unblock your mind, and give you a fresh perspective.
- Throw something away. You know that one thing that you’ve been holding onto for months now, “just in case”… go pick it up and throw it away. You don’t need it.
- Listen to some music. Pick out your current favorite tune, turn it up to 10, and jam out!
- Make a decision. You know that one thing on your to-do list that you’ve been dragging your feet about for months? Decide already! Don’t let that stinker hang over your head for one more day!
Remember, you deserve to have positive energy flowing around you and peace in your home and your life. I hope this list of ideas inspires you to take a little me-time and celebrate the love you have for yourself this Valentine’s Day!