A new school year often brings, stress, worry and germs. Whether you’re children are at home or back in the building, one thing is for sure, it is important to keep our spaces clean and free of impurities that can weaken our immune system. With everything going on around us wellness is super important! The last thing you want to be concerned about is whether or not you have the basic necessities on hand to keep you and your family well and your home clean. Here are 5 simple DIY product hacks using essential oils that cannot only save you time and money, but are also kid safe.
- DIY natural, non-toxic toilet bowl cleaner
- 8 oz Glass Spray Bottle
- Recycled container with sprinkle lid (large spice shaker works great)
- 1 cup White vinegar
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup salt
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- Pour vinegar and tea tree (melaleuca) oil into the glass spray bottle, shake up, and set aside.
- Add baking soda and salt together in sprinkle container and shake well to mix.
- Spray vinegar mixture inside of the toilet bowl and then sprinkle in the powder. It should start to fizz; if not then spray a bit more vinegar mixture.
- Let the cleaner sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing with a toilet brush. Flush when done.
2. Antibacterial foaming hand soap
- Empty foaming hand soap dispenser
- 1/3 cup castile soap (Dr. Bronners Brand baby mild scent, peppermint or unscented)
- 10-15 drops of Thieves essential oil
- 1-2 drops of olive oil, vitamin E or glycerin for moisturizing (optional)
- Add castile soap to bottle
- Add drops of essential oil
- Fill slowly with water and you’re done!
- (Add optional oil)
- Hand sanitizer
- 2 oz container
- 1 tbsp distilled water
- 5 drops Thieves essential oil
- 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1/8 tsp vitamin e oil
- Combine aloe vera gel, vitamin e and Thieves essential oil in container and mix well
- Add distilled water to thin mixture – mixture should be thin enough to coat hands
- Shake well to mix
- Sanitizing wipes
- Half a roll of paper towels (cardboard removed)
- 1 tbsp castile soap (Dr Bronners)
- ¾ cup water
- 20-30 drops thieves essential oil
- Empty and cleaned circular container
- Cut a roll of paper towels in half and take out the cardboard piece. Remove enough paper towel sheets for your roll to fit into your container. (These extra sheets can be put into a baby wipe container and just mix up some more solution!)
- Pour the water and castile soap in the bottom of your container then gently swirl to mix it. Drop in your Thieves oil then quickly insert your paper towel roll into the container. Let it sit for a few hours to allow the mixture to soak through the towels.
- Disinfectant Spray
- 16oz glass bottle
- Lemon, lavender, eucalyptus and tea tree essential oils
- ½ tsp hydrogen peroxide
- Alcohol (at least 70%)
- Fill spray bottle most of the way full with alcohol (leaving room for the top)
- Add hydrogen peroxide
- Add essential oils (30 drops tea tree, 15 drops lemon, 15 drops lavender, 15 drops eucalyptus) These oils all have natural disinfecting properties and smell amazing when blended together!
- Put on spray top and shake well to mix
Tausha is the spouse of a 20 year Navy veteran and mom of a blended family of 6 children, She truly values time management, money saving hacks and healthy living! It is a must when it comes to navigating life and navigating her family! After decades of careers in business, management and consulting, she now has the privilege to steward her family from home as a stay at home mom. With that being said she enjoys spending her free time sharing tips, positive thoughts and healthy lifestyle ideas on how to get the most out of life.
For more safe, natural recipes and information on using essential oils, check out oily.life/taushahamilton/